This recipe is the closest I have come to the taste of real cheddar macaroni and cheese (without all the guilt)! It is creamy and delicious – a real comfort food – yet only uses great vegan ingredients. Also, it is super easy to make! This recipe is an adapted version of this post from Vegan Yumminess.
- 10 ounces dried macaroni, preferably whole wheat
- 1 1/2 cup russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/3 cup onion, peeled and diced
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked 3 hours (or overnight)
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1/4 cup white wine (optional)
- 3 rounded tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Cook the macaroni according to package directions, drain, return to the pot, then set aside. Place chopped vegetables into a sauce pan and add enough water to cover well. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium high. Cook until the vegetables become soft, about 10-15 minutes. When the vegetables are soft, drain them and place them in a high speed blender. Add all the remaining ingredients and puree until smooth, adding a little water as necessary to achieve the desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour the desired amount of cheese sauce over the macaroni and cheese, stir, and warm over medium heat until hot. Serve immediately.
* Cook’s Tip: Freeze any remaining cheese sauce and thaw later for a quick weeknight meal!